Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Letter of Explanation

For former offenders looking for employment, a well worded letter of explanation, submitted with an application, may open some opportunities.

A letter of explanation explains any gaps in your work history and addresses your criminal record.

Your letter should honestly state your record and time served. You need to take responsibility for your actions and acknowledge the effect it had on others. Talk about the way things have changed as well as what you have done since then. Close by mentioning incentive programs available to the employer if he or she chooses to hire you.

Here is a sample of a letter for someone recently released:

In May 2007 I was convicted of ______________________. I served 18 months at _________________ for my crime. I know that what I did was wrong. It was a result of poor decision making on my part and it hurt a lot of people. I’ve learned a great lesson and won’t repeat those past mistakes.

While incarcerated I worked as a ___________________ and I completed certifications in ___________________. Since my release I have done some part time work as ___________________ and volunteered my time at __________________. I am looking forward to getting back to work full-time so I can further demonstrate the changes in my life and be a responsible member of society.

I can understand why you may be hesitant to hire someone with my background. However, I am eligible for The Federal Bonding Program which can insure you against any act of dishonesty on my part. Additionally, if you hire me, you will be eligible for Work Opportunity Tax Credits to save you some money this year. I will be happy to provide you more information about those programs when we meet.

If your criminal record goes back several years and you have worked since your release, replace that second paragraph with one highlighting your newly established work history. Also, remove mention of the Tax Credits from the last paragraph as this only applies for ex-felons within a year of release.

Do not send this letter with every résumé submission. Provide the letter when you complete an application and check the box asking about your criminal record history. Bring it with you to review when you get invited in to an interview.

If you apply online there is usually an option to include any additional comments or attach a cover letter. Copy and paste your letter of explanation

No comments:

Post a Comment